You would often think of changing someone with whom you are in a relationship to something else, so that he or she would be a better person for you. To get a perfect person you would want to change a few things so that you like him or her more.
The fact is trying to change someone is a waste of time. The very thought of changing someone is saying that they are not good enough as they are, and it is soaked with judgment and disapproval. That is not a thought of appreciation or love, and those thoughts will only bring separation between you and that person.
You must look for the good in people to have more of it appear. As you look only for the good things in a person, you will be amazed at what your new focus reveals.
A powerful exercise that you can do to improve your relationships with your near and dear ones is explained in a few step below.
- Make a list of three to five people in your life who are very important to you. They can be family or friends. It can be your mother, father, husband, boyfriend or girlfriend.
- If possible find a photo for each one and keep it with you.
- Every morning when you get up take your notebook and make a list of things that you like about that person. Just note down the positive points. Examples would be…I thank my dad to be so supportive or I thank my mother for bringing me into this world.
- Add a thank you at each sentence and feel true gratitude for all the good qualities that they have.
- Do this with complete honesty for a week and you will see that the relationships are improving and things are getting better.
- Whenever some negative thought about the person comes in your mind just switch back to your list and see their positives.
- Keep doing this exercise for as many people you want your relationship to be good with. You can also try building a good professional relationship with your boss.
I believe this will help you and improve everything in your relationships.